Being an Entrepreneur (Fall Semester 2020)
|For students specializing in management:||In supplementary subjects (Ergänzungsbereich)|
|For students of with another specialization:||In elective subjects (Wahlbereich)|
"Fachmodul Entrepreneurship" (Being an Entrepreneur & Corporate Entrepreneurship)
English (course and exam)
Students are required to register for this course. Registration is open from August 3, 2020 to September 13, 2020 in KSL. Manual registrations after the deadline are not possible. The number of participants is limited (max. 36).
Students should be proficient in English and should have a strong genuine interest in the topic of entrepreneurship.
What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
This course takes a fresh and comprehensive look at the entrepreneurial career path as a whole. It covers new venture creation but goes way beyond that by discussing selected important topics along the entrepreneurial life cycle.
Key questions addressed:
- What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
- Why should one become an entrepreneur, and why not?
- What type of entrepreneurs exist?
- What is the purpose of becoming an entrepreneur? Becoming rich, solving a social problem, or something else?
- What are main entrepreneurial concepts and strategies?
- What are the key tasks and challenges that an entrepreneur faces in his/her career?
- How can an entrepreneur be successful in the long run?
- And many more…
Topics covered (among others):
- Foundations of entrepreneurship
- Creating a business
- Taking over a business
- Social identities of entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurial finance
- Entrepreneurial teams
- Business models and business plans
- Portfolio entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial crises
- Family business entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial exit
Main learning outcomes:
- Gain in-depth academic and practical insights into the "entrepreneurial career"
- Understand the conceptual foundations of entrepreneurship
- Know and understand central entrepreneurship-related concepts and themes
- Be able to apply knowledge in practice
- Develop/enhance own entrepreneurial skills and capabilities
- Be able to reflect if being/becoming an entrepreneur is a feasible/desirable career option
Performance Evaluation and Teaching Approach
- Final written exam* (60%)
Participation in class (20%)
*Remember to register for one of the exams via KSL:
1st exam option: date and registration period to be confirmed (likely before Christmas)
2nd exam option: date and registration period to be confirmed (likely in February)
- Group assignment (group presentation) (20%)
Attendance of all classes is mandatory. To receive ECTS, all performance evaluation parts have to be completed.
The classes will include a variety of didactic elements such as classic lectures, open discussions, case studies, guest lectures, and student presentations.
Course Material and Readings
Course materials will be available on ILIAS every Friday before class. A list with required and recommended readings will be provided on ILIAS every Wednesday before class.
Tentative Course Overview
Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003
|2.||22.09.2020||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Creating a Business|
|3.||29.09.2020||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Taking Over a Business|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Opportunities and Innovation|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Business Models and Business Plans|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Entrepreneurial Finance|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Portfolio Entrepreneurship|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Entrepreneurial Crises|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Family Business Entrepreneurship|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Entrepreneurial Exit|
||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Wrap-Up & Summary|
||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Student Presentations|
Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003