Being an Entrepreneur (Fall Semester 2017)
|For students specializing in management:||in supplementary subjects (Ergänzungsbereich)|
|For students of other specialties:||in elective subjects (Wahlbereich)|
English (course and exam)
Students are required to register for this course. Registration is open from 1st of August to 30th of September 2017 in KSL. Manual registrations after the deadline are not possible. The number of participants is limited (max. 36).
Students should be proficient in English and should have a genuine interest in the topic of entrepreneurship.
Teaching Approach and Performance Evaluation
- Final written exam* (60%)
Participation in class (20%)
- Group assignment (group presentation) (20%)
Attendance of all classes is mandatory.
*Remember to register for one of the exams via KSL:
1st exam (first option): Wednesday, 20.12.2017
2nd exam (second option) : Friday, 09.02.2018
What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
This course takes a fresh and comprehensive look at the entrepreneurial career path as a whole. It covers new venture creation but goes way beyond that by discussing selected important topics along the entrepreneurial life cycle. The course also illustrates the related challenges that different types of entrepreneurs and their firms face and how long-term entrepreneurial success can be achieved.
Among the topics are:
- Foundations of entrepreneurship
- Creating a business
- Taking over a business
- Entrepreneurial finance
- Entrepreneurial teams
- Business models and business plans
- Portfolio entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial crises
- Family business entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial exit
The course is designed for students who have a strong general interest in the topic "entrepreneurship". The classes will include a variety of didactic elements such as classic lectures, open discussions, short case studies, guest lectures, and student presentations.
Key Questions / Goals
- What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
- Why should one become an entrepreneur, and why not?
- What type of entrepreneurs exist?
- What are main entrepreneurial concepts and strategies?
- What are the key tasks and challenges that an entrepreneur faces in his/her career?
- How can an entrepreneur be successful in the long run?
- And many more…
Main Learning Outcomes:
- Gain in-depth academic and practical insights into the "entrepreneurial career”
- Understand the conceptual foundations of entrepreneurship
- Know and understand key entrepreneurship concepts (e.g., strategic entrepreneurship, corporate entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial orientation)
- Be able to apply knowledge in practice
- Develop/enhance own entrepreneurial skills and capabilities
- Be able to reflect if being/becoming an entrepreneur is a feasible/desirable career option
Course materials will be available on ILIAS every Friday before class.
Required and recommended reading:
A list with required and recommended readings will be provided on ILIAS every Wednesday before class.
Tentative Course Overview (subject to change)
Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003
|2.||26.09.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Creating a Business|
|3.||03.10.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Taking Over a Business|
|4.||10.10.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Opportunities and Innovation|
|5.||17.10.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Business Models and Business Plans|
|6.||24.10.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||
|7.||31.10.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Entrepreneurial Finance|
|8.||07.11.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Portfolio Entrepreneurship|
|9.||14.11.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Entrepreneurial Crises|
|10.||21.11.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Family Business Entrepreneurship|
|11.||28.11.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Entrepreneurial Exit|
|12.||05.12.2017||Tuesday||13:15-16:00||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Student Presentations|
||Engehaldestrasse 8, Seminarraum 003||Student Presentations|
|14.||20.12.2017||Wednesday||18:30-20:00||Main Building, Room 205||Exam (first option)|
Main Building, Room 205
||Exam (second option)|